Sunday, April 26, 2009

Whole Wheat Bread


You have to try this recipe, it is so easy and GOOD. This is another recipe from my mother-in-law. It's the perfect balance of flavor and texture. It's light and soft and oh, so good. I'm sold on making this bread every other weak or so and skipping out on the store-bought bread. My loaves ended up a little "muffin-top" because I let them rise too long, so next time I'll pay more attention on how fast they rise.

Whole Wheat Bread

1 tablespoon yeast
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup oil
1 tablespoon salt
1 1/2 cup water and 1 1/2 cup milk (combined and warmed to 115-125 degrees, about 2 minutes 15 seconds in the microwave)
3 cups flour (plus more as needed, for some reason I needed A LOT more)
3 cups whole wheat flour

Mix well the yeast, honey, oil, salt, and water/milk. Add wheat flour and mix for 5 minutes. Add white flour 1 cup at a time. Mix well. If dough is too sticky add more white flour until dough does not stick to side of mixing bowl.

Remove dough and gently knead on floured surface for a few minutes. Shape into 2 loaves. Grease 2 bread pans. Place pans in warm place and cover with a kitchen towel. Let them rise until they double in size.

Heat oven at 350 degrees. Brush melted butter on top of bread for softer crust. Bake for 40 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack. Cut loaf when warm, but not still hot.

Oh, so good!

1 comment:

Cecilia said...

The bread looks sooo yummy. I do too, have to add more flour to this recipe. I usually add more white flour. It really is a great tasting bread. I am sure yours tastes the same.