Friday, November 27, 2009

12 x 16 Pillow Tutorial



I've been wanting to get a pillow for our chairs since we got them, but could never find the right size and design style. So, I decided to break out a really old pattern my mom bought me when I was 12 that I'd never used and make my own pillow. I found some cute fabric at Jo-Ann's, and found one for me and one for my hubby. Since I'm a fan of the tutorial, I thought I'd try my hand at it. Unfortunately, I didn't start taking photos until 1/2 way through :( I'll re-do this when I make my hubby's pillow.

1 yard of fabric of your choice
60 inches chord for piping

Cut two pieces of fabric 12 1/2 x 16 1/2
Cut 1 3/4 inches wide bias strip for piping 60 inches long. You will have to cut at least two strips and sew them together to get the length. To cut on the bias, start at the corner by the selvage and cut at 45 degree angle from the selvage. To get the two pieces to join properly put the strip ends perpendicular to each other so they form an L.



I had to play around with off-setting them just enough so when I finally sewed them together they ended up being completely joined into a straight line.



To sew the piping, place the chord on the wrong side of the bias strip, fold the bias strip so wrong sides are together and right sides are showing. Using the zipper foot attachment on your sewing machine, sew the bias strip right along the chording.



Next, place one of your two rectangle right side up on your working surface. Pin the piping with raw edges matching. I started a few inches from the bottom left, so when the edges were joined, they would be less noticeable. Pin in place. You will need to snip the edge of the piping when rounding the corners.



When the edges of the piping meet, trim the chord so the ends will meet. I found taping the ends and then cutting in the middle of the line of tape will keep the chord from unraveling over time. Trim one end of the fabric to the same length as the chord it's covering. Cut the other end about an inch or so longer. Fold over that end, and enclose the other end of the piping so the chord ends now meet, and the end is covered by the extra length of fabric. Pin in place. You may baste it in place if you prefer (but I didn't bother).



Next, place the second rectangle wrong side up and pin in place. Using the same zipper attachment, sew the perimeter of the pillow case, leaving a big enough end unsewed to allow for turning right side out and stuffing the case with the pillow. Try to sew as close to the chord as possible, without actually sewing the chord, this way, your first set of stitches on the piping won't show.



Clip the corners and trim the edges to about 1/4 inch all the way around. Turn case right side out and stuff the case with the pillow. Sew the opening using a slip stitch.


No comments: