Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Apple Pie

(pictures to follow shortly :)

This year my family requested I make 2 of my apple pies to serve the masses, which I gladly agreed.  It turns out this pie has become signature dish, and I have no shame that it makes me feel pretty proud when someone requests it.  This is the first time I've made 2 pies at a time. 

Obstacle #1 was obtaining a second pie pan.  Of course, I do have a second one - in storage, so I opted to borrow my sister's pan.  Which, I found out is an in and a half larger in diameter and a bit deeper than mine.

Mistake #1 was buying the Golden Delicious apples too far in advance.  We do our weekly grocery shopping on Saturdays, so that's when I stocked up on my 5 lbs. of apples.  I was a bit disappointed today when I started cutting the apples that they didn't seem as crisp as I remember.

Genius moment #1 was realizing I could peel the apples with my veggie peeler in one long circular strip starting at the top all the way to the bottom.  That way I didn't have to worry as much about slicing a finger, much better control.  I think I picked that tip up from America's Test Kitchen.

Bad decision moment #1 was thinking I was being clever by wetting the top AND bottom of the overhanging lip of the crust.  Unfortunately, it only ended up making everything too sticky and then I think resulted in my Fail #1.

Fail #1 was when I pulled Pie #1 from the oven to find the pie top separated from the fluted crust edge on 50% of the pie :(

Success #1 was pulling Pie #2 from the oven and it looked just about perfect.

One of the smartest things I did (at the suggestion of the Hub) was making the crust doughs yesterday so I didn't have to worry about it.  Also, I started the baking process after lunch, so I don't have to worry about staying up late to finish.

No comments: