Sunday, December 5, 2010

Taco Soup and Cornbread

I'm going to be honest with you. Cooking dinner has been such a grind lately. We had been doing really well for a long time with our meal planning and grocery shopping, but lately it seemed like the HubLub and I were getting home so late we were just too exhausted to think about getting our micro-mini kitchen cleaned and the dirty all over again, so we ended up eating out a few more times than usual, eating mac n cheese, soup, and sammys. So, I got to thinking about freezer meals and how we could prepare and freeze meals that were a cinch to pull out and cook on those really bad days. I researched on the internet and had a tough time finding recipes that met my expectations - no cook prep, single pot/pan cooking out of the freezer. So, I started thinking about our own recipes and how we could work with those. I thought of this Taco Soup recipe. The recipe makes a ton and is easy to pull together. I don't remember trying to freeze it before, but I figured it would be a good candidate. Then, I started thinking about storing it in the freezer and drooled over the Food Saver. There is NO way I can justify that taking up half my counter space, even if I used it daily, and cupboard space is not an option. Then I saw the Handi Vac which I had laughed at when I saw it before. But after reading a not horrible review on Consumer Reports I decided to order one and try it out. After all, for around $13 bucks on Amazon, it can't be any worse that me hand sealing zip lock bags, right? I'll let you know how that goes. But, until then, on to the stuff you care about, the recipe!

This taco soup is stupid easy to make. I know everyone and their mother has a recipe like this, so I've resisted posting this recipe. But, since it really is something we fall back on every once in a while I thought I'd go ahead and let you in on our recipe (which co-incidentally enough is from my mom :)

Taco Soup

Serves 5-6, or barely three meals for the HubLub and myself.

1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tsp garlic, chopped/minced/pressed
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1 can turkey chili with beans
1 can vacuum packed corn
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed well
4 oz tomato sauce
2 tablespoons or 1/2 packet of taco seasoning

Brown beef, add onions and garlic.  Cook until onions are translucent.  Add canned ingredients, undrained.  Simmer on low 1 hour.

Optional: top with cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips, chopped tomatoes, or guacamole.


I felt like our favorite cornbread was a perfect compliment to the soup. We've usually just had it before with chili, but it really worked well with the soup. It's another stupid silly recipe. In fact, I got distracted and pulled it out of the oven 10 minute late and it still tasted great.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: