Tuesday, April 26, 2011

BzzAgent Silk 1-Day Challenge

As a BzzAgent, I get to try out lots of products and share them with you.  If you're interested in becoming a BzzAgent go to their website at http://www.bzzagent.com/ and sign up.  You'll fill out questionnaires and get opportunities to sign up for different types of product reviews, what they ask in return is that you spread the word (and any coupons they send you) after you try the products.  The definitely want your honest opinion, and are very serious about disclosing your status as a BzzAgent when you talk about the product - which I appreciate.  I got introduced to BzzAgent by the HubLub, and was very jealous when I saw a Sonicare toothbrush arrive in the mail for him!

Recently, I had the chance to participate in the Silk 10-Day Challenge, and you've probably seen commercials recently about it.  I got to try two products for free, and I choose Chocolate Silk and Pure Almond Vanilla almond milk.  Some of the literature they provided taught me some things, like soy milk has fewer calories, the same amount of calcium, and less saturated fat than regular milk.  Surprisingly, it's better for the planet too - less water and greenhouse gases than regular milk. 

I've been interested in soy milk as a healthy alternative to regular milk, and a year ago I tried unsweetened soy milk.  Honestly, I couldn't even finish it!  It tasted so "earthy" and plant-based that I just couldn't do it.  Still, I was interested in it because it seemed so popular.  I later tried Almond Milk (AlmondBreeze) to see if that was any better, which I felt that it was, but not better than regular milk.  So, when this "campaign" started I was interested in giving it one more try.

I got two coupons to try different products from Silk.  I ended up with Chocolate Soy Milk and PureAlmond Vanilla.  I would have liked to try PureCoconut, but there wasn't any at the store when I went. 

I ended up really loving the Chocolate Soy Milk!  The texture was thick (which I happen to like) and the flavor of chocolate was similar to cocoa, so it was the right balance of sweet.  It tasted pretty close to regular chocolate milk.  Also, I didn't ever notice the "earthy" flavors that I noticed when I tried regular soy milk before.  I would recommend this as a healthier alternative to chocolate milk or in making milk shakes, however not as a recovery drink.  I drink regular chocolate milk as a recovery drink after a work out to help bring into my muscles a great ratio of protein and carbs.  Unfotunately, soy milk doesn't deliver on the right ratio because there's not as much protein.  In fact, I did notice soreness in my muscles when I was substituting the soy milk for regular.  I don't notice soreness when I drink regular chocolate milk.

The PureAlmond Vanilla soymilk tasted good, but not as good as the chocolate soy milk.  The vanilla was pretty strong, but I didn't mind.  I thought it would be great to try as a substitute for milk in baking, but I didn't get a chance.

Even though I generally liked these products, I'll probably stick to regular milk mostly because I don't want to buy regular milk for the LubHub and then soy for me, especially since soy is more expensive.  Plus, I really need regular chocolate milk for my recovery drinks.

Have you tried soy milk or Silk products?  What do you think of them?

No comments: