Sunday, February 26, 2012

Carpe Diem 1 - In Honor of Chris Rudolph

Chris Rudolph, a friend from high school, and two others, died tragically last Sunday in an avalanche at Stevens Pass, Washington.  I'm still in shock and trying to process the reality of him being gone.

Chris Rudolph was such an incredible person and leaves a legacy of exuberance, laughter, and friendship.  Over the past week I've been reading Facebook memories from around the world and thinking about my own friendship with Chris in high school.  I can honestly say that I am a better person for having known him.  He was one of those rare individuals who was passionate about life, learning, and people.  He made everyone who interacted with him feel special and important, you just gravitated toward him and wanted to be around him.

His home town memorial was yesterday and I really got to learn more about the man Chris had become since high school and the legacy he leaves behind.  One of the things that stood out to me from the memorial was just how he really seized each day and made the most of it.

It got me to start thinking about my own life and how I treat each day.   In honor of Chris and his amazing 30 years on this earth I will spend the next 30 days doing something to seize each day.  I'll then share here what I've done and learned.

I encourage each of you who reads this post to join me in honoring the life of Chris Rudolph by choosing to do at least one thing to sieze the day, and pass it along.  Please fell free to post your comments and experiences, whether you knew Chris or not.

This is my Day 1 and what I seized today was a bike ride with the HubLub.  Normally I would have complained that it was "winter" and too cold for a ride.  But, I remembered this post by Chris and instead of thinking of the cold, I looked out the window and saw the blue skies and decided to head out and enjoy being outside and the thrill of the ride.

To my dear friend Chris, may you rest in peace and may you see us here and know how blessed we all are because of your life.  Thank you.

No comments: