Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Carpe Diem 3


 Today I woke up a little bit earlier than yesterday (yeah!) and went for a quick run, sans music.  Usually I tune in on my runs to help get me through the "grind."  But, today I felt like I didn't want to just get through the run, I wanted to be present and experience it.  I stopped thinking "Am I running fast enough?", "Am I running too fast", "How much further?", or "Have I run far enough?"  Then, I started relaxing and just enjoying each moment without trying to compete with myself.  I even stopped a few times to take some pictures without stressing that I was either going to get back home too late, or I wasn't going to be able to get in a certain mileage.  It felt really nice and freeing.  I paid attention to the sky instead of the pavement in front of me, and enjoyed the pastel colors that come as the sun is rising.


As I was on the pedestrian bridge taking the first photograph the lyrics "Let the sun shine in, let the sun shine in, the sun shine in . . ." were as much literal as spiritual.  It was a great beginning to a new day.

2 comments:

Sullivan said...

Love it! I never listen to music when I run, never have. I like the time to think and kind of clear my head and that doesn't happen for me with music. Seeing the sun rise and running with my partner, Molly, are the things I love about running at 5:30 in the morning. It is a good way to start the day, I just need to go to bed earlier! Keep seizing the day!

ErinLub said...

Yeah, I'm thinking running without music is really the way to go. The quiet of the morning is so invigorating.