Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Carpe Diem 11

Today was a really good day.  I happened to have the day off so I went for a run on my new favorite trail.  I seized the day by taking a different route than the one I had planned.  Honestly, I was a little hesitant because I was worried about if something happened then my husband might worry about me.  Then I remembered I had my phone which has Find My Friends and I had my trusty can of pepper spray, so I was pretty covered and felt confident to try something new and exciting.

I was SO glad I did.  The new trail was even better than the first one.  After a few turns it narrowed down to a thin trail and wove through little mini hills and valleys protected by trees.  It really felt like being out in the middle of nature, rather than the edge of civilization.  It felt so energizing to be out there breathing in the cool, clean air and stretching my legs.  I just wished I could have gone longer.

That wasn't the only seizing I did today, though.  I had an appointment back in my hometown.  On my way back from the appointment I decided to go the long way and drive through the old neighborhood and past my old house.  Then on the spur of the moment I decided to drive by my friend's old house.  She moved in middle school, so she's been away from the neighborhood even longer than I have, plus I don't think she's been back since, now that she's on the East Coast.  I jumped out of my car and snapped a photo as quick as I could, trying not to look like a creepy stalker.  I shared it with her and she seemed to appreciate it.  Granted, the house really does look almost exactly the same all these years later.

Oh, and I did even more seizing when I hit the grocery store on the way home to pick up the ingredients to make my husband's favorite meal for dinner.  It's been so long since we've had a proper, good home cooked meal.  We usually get home from work so late we have to cook quick meals, and the weekends we're too exhausted to do fancy dinners.  So, I took advantage of having extra time on this day off and made lasagna.  I even bought some apple-grape Martinelli's to make it even more special, and rounded out the meal with some French bread and broccoli.  We sat at the dining room table, dimmed the lights and lit the candles and had a nice meal and chat.  Moments like these are my favorite with my husband.

It was such a great day today, all because of small decisions I made to seize the day.  I was so empowered by all the positive energy from making those decisions, I'm still in a great mood.

Now, your turn.  What have you been doing to seize the day?  I know you have!

1 comment:

Sara Love said...

I want to come running here!!!