Sunday, March 18, 2012

Carpe Diem 21

This is day 21 of my project to seize each day. You can learn more about what inspired this 30-day project here.

The day started out on the right foot. I rolled out of bed when my alarm went off at 6:30 am. I did my meditation and had my QT with our cat. Then I went for a run. It's been raining most of the week so I knew I wasn't going to bother with the dirt trail. Instead I hit the bike path.

I usually run with music and my eyes focused on the path. I tend to ignore the people I pass by. Not this day!

With seizing the day on the forefront of my mind I ran without music so I could enjoy the run for what it was. I kept my head up and my eyes forward instead of down. And I said "good morning" as I came across other people on the trail. That sounds easy, but it's not for me because I'm naturally a shy person. A little more than half of the people acknowledged my greeting and either smiled or returned the greeting. Even so it made me feel more connected and more a part of the community of early morning trail users.

Because I was choosing to seize the day I was looking for positive things to share. So when I came across a low hanging tree branch saturated by rain I noticed how beautiful and bright the green leaves were for St. Patrick's Day, rather than be annoyed that it was in my way.

A lot of life is what you make of it. You'll find what you're looking for - whether it's the good in what's around you or the bad.

Acknowledging and reaching out to those you come in contact by saying a simple "hello" enriches your experience of the world around you and helps you feel more connected. Try it if you're feeling low and you won't feel low for long.

No comments: