Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Carpe Diem 30

This is day 30 of my project to seize each day. You can learn more about what inspired this 30-day project here


Well, this is the last day of my 30 day tribute to the life of Chris Rudolph.  I didn't do anything special just because today was day 30.  Maybe I should have, but maybe if I did it wouldn't have felt authentic.  


Regardless, they way I seized the day was by not procrastinating.  I'm a huge procrastinator and always have been.  It's something I constantly try to overcome.  But, when I came home from work instead of plopping in front of the TV and vegging (which is what I wanted to do) I decided to be proactive and start dinner and do the dishes.    (So, I realize this sounds pretty lame and basic to you, but trust me, the way our crazy schedule has been lately, this is kinda huge, sadly.)  I turned on a podcast and went to work.  Somehow listening to something while I'm working in the kitchen makes it so much easier.  I felt pretty proud of myself when all was said and done.  I definitely felt much better about myself for not being lazy and procrastinating these "chores."  The strangest part is that I felt like I had as much energy, if not more, than I had when I started.


Have you ever noticed how doing things like watching TV to rest only make you more tired and lethargic?


Lesson learned: just DO it already!


****
Postscript.


Honestly, I feel a bit sad now that I'm done with my project.  I am happy, though, that I accomplished what I set out to do, which was honor the life and memory of a friend by trying to do my small part in continuing his legacy of seizing each day.  I do not pretend to come one tenth of one percent close to what Chris accomplished in his 30 years.  I'm only me and can only do what I can do.  But I learned I can do better than I've been doing.  I can do more in my own life to cherish each day and live life more fully. 


One of the biggest lessons I've learned from the past 30 days is that you find what you look for.  In looking for the wonder in the world, for the good and the exciting, I saw it.  I can tell you without a doubt that the things I saw these past 30 days I wouldn't have seen if I hadn't been looking.  I would have missed out on so much by just not paying attention.  


The other big lesson I learned is that we all have power that we don't even realize.  When I started this project I had no idea how many people would read the posts.  I was shocked by the responses I got from people who were inspired to do something in their own lives to seize a day or a moment.  It really epitomizes, rightly so, Chris' influence perfectly.  I feel so honored to have passed his torch, so to speak, to other people, and I can only hope that the influence will continue to live on and never die.  A living tribute to an incredible man and friend.


So, may you feel inspired to do something to seize the day.  Something that spreads love, laughter and joy to those around you.  And may that enthusiasm continue to spread the world over.


















3 comments:

Sullivan said...

I loved following this, and it did get me to try and slow down and enjoy the simple things even when we're rushing to get homework done to get to karate or swimming or dance or whatever. It's not always easy to take a moment to breathe and enjoy a moment, but it's important to try. Thanks for sharing these posts the past 30 days.
Debbie

ErinLub said...

Thank you!

Sara Love said...

I haven't visited this blog in some time. I didn't mean to. But recently I came on and saw and read through some of your Carpe Diem posts. I loved it! In fact, I wanted to tell you that I've been trying to "seize the day" this past week. Maybe my way of seizing the day sounds a little lame, but they were things that I made happen that are not part of my normal, every day life. So, to name a couple: I had a massive clean my room day. My room tends to be the catch-all room. I'd put the job off for far too long until one day, thanks to you, I decided it was time! The next day my spring garden was planted (soon I'll post on my sproutinggoodness blog!), and tonight Dave and I took the boys to the Clay County Fair. Just seeing the look on their faces when they were being whipped around on a ride was priceless. Thanks for reminding me to seize the day. I've felt very productive and experienced great joy!