Monday, April 23, 2012

Today is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life

I had a teacher in 4th grade who cheered us along one day, saying "Today is the first day of the rest of your life!"  I really didn't get along with this teacher and I just didn't understand this quote he shared, and so for the longest time I'd always hated it. 

It's still a bit annoying to me in its cheesiness, but I can now appreciate the message of fresh starts and looking forward.  I suppose it's appropriate the phrase is atributed to Charles E. "Chuck" Dederich, Sr., who founded a program similar to A.A. for substance abusers in the 1960s.  Although, you don't have to be an addict to find peace in the thought that today is a blank canvas.  No one is immune from struggle or defeat.  What I like best about this phrase is that it's forward looking - so what if you screwed up yesterday, that was yesterday and today is here, so try today to be who you want to be.  It's never too late to try to turn over a new leaf.

No comments: