Thursday, May 31, 2012

Organizing your Email Inbox

I came across this interesting and well-written article from Unclutterer.com.  I thought you might be interested in it.


I'm pretty Type A when it comes to personal and work emails, so I generally don't have a huge problem with an overflowing email inbox.  But, I do know some people who are inbox hoarders.  Admittedly, I do sometimes get busy and my inbox gets unruly, much like a neglected lawn will tend to get pretty scraggly if you don't mow it for a few weeks.

This article is pretty minimalist on the approach to email.  It definitely encourages you to delete each email as soon as you identify the action item.  This is a bit radical for me, but I think something to aspire to, or at least find a happy balance.  If I'm being honest, I'll admit that of the emails I do save in subfolders thinking they'll come in handly some day, only 1-3% of those emails are ever referred to again.

My biggest take home from the article was the use of Evernote.  Although, I could see someone moving their hoarding habit from email to Evernote.  Still, it's a thoughtful way to stay more organized and in a "doing" mode.

Take a read and then let me know what you think in the comments below.  Is it too extreme or sound advice?  How do you manage your email inbox?

No comments: