Monday, May 14, 2012

Personal Mission Statement

I was trying to get some resources for my Mission Statement and of course went to Google.  I came across a really helpful tool from Franklin Covey and encourage you to check it out and see what happens when you create a Personal Mission Statement.  I did one for myself first before I did one for this blog and it really was a very cool experience.  It helped me focus on what's most important and it gave form to some goals and thoughts I've had running through my mind off and on for the past few years.  Most importantly, I felt it allowed me to believe in the possibility my deepest, darkest dream of being a novelist could be a reality if I choose to pursue it.

It only takes 5-10 minutes, so don't be intimidated by all the steps.

Here is my personal mission statement:

I am at my best when I am challenged.
I will try to prevent times when I am underutilized.
I will enjoy my work by finding employment where I can create and organize.
I will find enjoyment in my personal life through trying new things.
I will find opportunities to use my natural talents and gifts such as listening to others, empathizing, and teaching.
I can do anything I set my mind to. I will be a novelist.
My life's journey is searching for my passion so that I can leave the world a little better than I found it, and helping others along the way, so that I may die in peace.
I will be a person who has my friends and family with me. The sum is bigger than it's parts, and I am who I am because of each of them.
My most important future contribution to others will be making them feel like the most important person in the room.

I will stop procrastinating and start working on:
  • being less introverted and shy,
  • wasting less time watching TV, and
  • spending more time visiting and communicating with the people I care about.

I will strive to incorporate the following attributes into my life:
  • making others feel special and important,
  • being more exuberant, and
  • loving everyone.

I will constantly renew myself by focusing on the four dimensions of my life:
  • committing to exercising daily by not sleeping in late,
  • studying the scriptures with greater purpose,
  • continuing to seek for knowledge-informally or in a school setting, and
  • becoming more confident.

1 comment:

tim-berly said...

Very nice exercise and fun to learn a little more about your interests (I had no idea you'd like to write a novel). :) In the marriage class at church, we were encouraged to do a similar mission statement for us as a couple, and it was nice to record our mutual priorities and some of our hopes and goals.