Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Erin's No-Bake Energy Balls


The "original" of this recipe comes from one of my favorite bloggers, The Frugal Girl, via Money Saving Mom via Smashed Peas and Carrots, and it's my new favorite treat.  I'm trying to ween myself from processed sugar and this recipe calls for honey instead of white sugar, so I'm a big fan.  The sweetness of the honey and chocolate balances off the oats, and the texture is chewy without being gooey.  Come to think of it, these are a creamier and denser version of a granola bar.  Here's my adapted recipe:

Ingredients:

1/2 cup peanut butter (I'm a huge fan of Laura Scudder's creamy pb)
1/3 cup of honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (if you have the choice, get the finest shredded one you can)
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Directions:

In a medium bowl stir together wet ingredients: peanut butter, honey, and vanilla.  Stir in oats, coconut, and mini chocolate chips.  Make sure everything's completely mixed.

Refrigerate mixture 30 minutes to make mixture easier to handle.  Scoop out 1 tablespoon or less and press to compact and roll into a ball.  Makes about 18-24 balls.

Store in the refrigerator.

Easy-peazy lemon squeezy!

No comments: