Monday, October 14, 2013

Taco Seasoning Substitute

There I was, standing in front of the stove, cooking up some ground turkey for tacos.  I pulled open the cupboard to pull out an envelope of taco seasoning mix, but there wasn't any in there.  I peered, I pulled, and then I sadly realized I didn't have any.  I looked back again at the cast iron skillet with the now brown turkey, looked back at my cupboard, considered all my options, and finally a moment of inspiration struck!  I pulled out my trusty cookbook, and turned to the poultry section where I found my recipe for Pita Chicken (which I promised to post and somehow never did).

And . . .  it turned out soooo good!  Way better than taco seasoning mix.  It tastes more complex and more subtle, and definitely more homemade.  Next time you cook up some tacos, just try this recipe.  I think you'll agree and like it even better.

Taco Seasoning Substitute (adapted from Pita Chicken Recipe, Allrecipes.com)

Ground turkey
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne powder
1/4 cup-more or less salsa  (right now I'm loving Paige's Salsa in spicy*)

Once you've browned your ground turkey, sprinkle all the seasonings on top and mix to combine.  Next, add salsa and mix until consistency is to your liking.  Keep it on the stove until the salsa warms through.

I served mine simply inside a hard tortilla shell layered with black beans and lettuce.  My husband even added some colby-jack cheese.

Voila!  So yummy.  I hope you enjoy.  Comment below and let me know what you think or if you have any questions.

*Paige is my big sista and she's a modern Martha Stewart.  Her salsa is jarred in small batches and has a delicious freshly made flavor.  It so addicting it never lasts very long in my house.

No comments: